"Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things." ~ Frank Clark


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

American Marriage

So I was browsing Facebook last night, mostly to avoid writing a paper that was due today and I found an interesting page with a group making a documentary about... what else? Marriage today in America.
The main tag line of the movie is:
"Pulling back the veil on why we say "I do"

American Marriage
a film by Mike Flanagan & Courtney Bell


"American Marriage" is the first feature length documentary to examine the whole story of marriage itself, from ancient times to the present - from divorce to dowries, prenups to polygamy, veils to Vegas, and everything in between.

**Still in production it is set to be released sometime 2011

With todays debate on the definition of marriage, companionship and the role of government I think that history has a way of putting things in perspective.

Now I know that just about everyone has strong feelings about the issue so I won't go on a crazy rant and rave but I will say this, I think there are lot bigger problems that we as a nation should be addressing more seriously.

One of the interesting points it raised is in another tag line:
"If your brakes failed as often as marriages do, would you ever drive your car?"
After thinking about that question I'm not sure that I would. At my age I am positive that I think more about the brakes of my car than I do about the possibility of me having a successful marriage.
I guess like most Americans I always thought that my first instinct would be a good enough guide to make the 'best' possible dating decisions. And I'm hoping that this film will challenge my 'fairy tale' attitude about love, companionship and marriage.


See the official trailer


One of my favorite phrases of the preview is:

There are only 4 questions of value in life.
1) What is sacred?
2) Of what is sacred?
3)What is worth living for?
4)What is worth dying for?
The answer to each is the same, only love.
~Author unknown

For more information on the documentary, here's the site.
http://www.americanmarriagemovie.com/#


What do you think?
About the issue, the documentary or anything; I'd love to hear from you!
(And as always please be considerate of others, we're all mature adults)

No comments: