"Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things." ~ Frank Clark


Monday, January 11, 2010

Asian chicken salad?

Breaking internet silence!

First off... I hope every had a Happy New Year!
Even after a few weeks it's still hard to remember that it's 2010!

Lately I've been taking a break from the world wide web (i.e. facebook, myspace, twitter, blogging, etc) to take some time off to think. To evaluate my priorities, direction and all that good stuff.
During my time of deep thought I've been looking more into my past and have come across a pretty important topic, my international adoption.

In case you didn't already know, I'm Korean and I don't really know anymore than that.

And while I'd thought about it off and on throughout my life I never really wanted it to take center stage. I've always believed that it didn't matter where I came from, that what was important is the person that I am now.
Recently I was contacted by a group of, 'Korean Adult Adoptees of Arizona' for the opportunity to get in touch with other people with similar experiences. And since my goal is to become an international adoptions attorney I thought that this would be the perfect way to become active in the community.
I wasn't able to make it to the first social gathering but I am hoping that I will be able to attend an authentic Korean dinner coming up soon... I'm so nervous!

As part of my search into my heritage and getting to know other people I found a discussion board on facebook with it's members contributing their own experiences.
One of their topics got me thinking... what would I say would be the '10 things I know about myself as an adoptee'
This is what I put:

1. I'm only Asian in appearances and that's more than okay with me
2. I regularly 'forget' that I'm Korean or Asian unless I'm around anyone else who is too.
3. I was meant to be with my family (there were 6 other families on the waiting list before mine), I just came in a more 'creative' way.
4. As a way of expressing my appreciation I would one day like to do what my mom has done and adopt a little girl from Korea, through Holt International
5. It's not that unusual to be an adoptee, my little brother is one too :)
6. I think I have a good sense of humor, stereotypes lend themselves to some of the best jokes (i.e. twinkie, average Asian via MadTV)
7. Although I am curious about what my life could have been like, I don't miss anything I can't remember. I was fortunate to have been adopted at a young age (2 1/2 yrs old)
8. I hope to one day use my experiences to help families looking to add their own international additions
9. Adoption is a unique experience, and mine was particularly difficult haha. I'm so glad my mom stuck it out.
10. Whether it was luck, fate or just a coincidence I know that there is no other alternative that can compare to the experiences and opportunities I have had and will have someday.

As if that wasn't enough I found some more 'food for thought' and stumbled on this.
And started reading a blog about another persons journey to discover her biological parents everything else that follows.
http://web.me.com/jdresselhaus/My_Mothers_Daughter/Welcome.html



If you're interested on some information regarding Korean adoptees:

Korean Adult Adoptees of Arizona
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167391401650&ref=ts
International Korean Adoptee Association
http://ikaa.org/en/

No comments: