"Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things." ~ Frank Clark


Monday, March 15, 2010

"What's my age again?"

23!! (as of about 2.5 hrs ago, Arizona time!)



It's so weird to think that I'm finally 23 yrs old. I know that it's nothing 'special' like 16, 18, 21 or 25 but I'm still just as shocked.
The funny thing about this year is that people starting wishing me a happy birthday 4 days before. And I don't think it was because they forgot the actual date, but more that they didn't want to forget on the 'real' day haha. I guess that I'm not the only forgetful one out there ;) you know who you are lol.

And well I know that I should probably keep this to myself but the reason for the title of this post is...
For some reason this last week I've been thinking about my upcoming birthday and every time that I think about it the song "What's My Age Again?" by Blink 182 pops into my head. And it's this particular line that is stuck,

"Nobody loves you when your 23
And you still act like you're in Freshman year
What the hell is wrong with me?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?"


Lol and it's not because I think that this applies to me, it's funny because it's so random. I'm really surprised that it's been in my head so long but hopefully I can get something better stuck in my head today :)

-----------------------

Besides the insanity of midterms this last weekend went really well. I asked for the weekend off and spent the entire time at a fencing training camp.
http://askfred.net/Clinics/moreInfo.php?clinic_id=10062&FREDSID=5
Oh boy am I soooo sore! But it was all definitely worth it :)
My club had an international classifier come so we are all 'almost' ready to compete with the big boys/girls!

For those of you who don't know much about wheelchair fencing classification, I learned a little this weekend so I'll try and give you a quick run down.
Classification is done in 2 parts, letters and numbers.

A - 3 OR 4
B - 2
C - 1A OR 1B

These numbers/letters are based on the each individuals functionality and range of motion. A's have the broadest range of motion and are the most physically functional while C's are the least. I'm not real sure why the A's and C's have 2 separate numbers but we could look here in the rulebook:
http://www.iwasf.com/iwasf/index.cfm/sports/iwas-wheelchair-fencing/rules/
AND!

http://www.wheelchairfencer.org/contact.html

I was shocked to hear that I'm a 4A!
I guess I'm as functional as it gets haha... sorry about the bad joke lol.

We also had an old friend Mario Rodriguez (aka as 'the World Champion' at our club and the web designer of 'Wheelchair Fencer,' official site of wheelchair fencing for US Fencing) come and fence as well as a new friend, both of which came from CA.
AND we had the US international wheelchair fencing coach, Les Stawicki came to visit and teach us a few things.
Even though I'm sore and exhausted, it was a blast and totally worth it! I learned a lot and I know that going has made me a better fencer :)

This week my mom put together a promotional video for the foundation that organizes and runs my fencing club. The Grand Canyon State Fencing Foundation is amazing and has done so much for everyone, not just us athletes. Thank you to you!
For more information on the foundation and club, check it out. http://www.gcsff.org/

Not to brag but... here it is!

But if that doesn't work for you, here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FpeQJ3vaOU

No comments: